Re: [opensuse-boosters] openSUSE versioning scheme
  • From: Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:37:48 +0100
Aloha!

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 14:50 +0200, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
Hi!

This has been discussed somehow but without any conclusion. Current
versioning scheme is confusing and does not make sense (now that we are
not syncing releases with SLE). If we are willing to change this we
should come up with some proposals and let the community decide. Ideas?

Sorry to sound ignorant, but could you advise as to where it was
discussed? I'm not looking at picking a fight or anything - if it was
internally/behind closed doors so to speak then fine, I'm just
curious :-)

Is there any reason we are trying to distance ourselves from SLE? If
anything we need to bring both closer together. Almost emulating the way
Ubuntu do their LTS releases. It is working very well for them, and is
growing not only their consumer users, but also their enterprise users.
But the big win for them is they have a single community. This is
something we don't have, and we do actually need it.

I came up with this one: name the next release openSUSE 12 (not 12.0)
and continue normally (13, 14). Also make the codenames (present in
/etc/issue atm) more prominent and also market them (like openSUSE 12 Moss).

Just using full digits is OK, but we'll just be copying Fedora. RedHat
used to have a similar scheme to us, and then changed it when they
pushed Fedora out the door. Using dates is just mimicking other distros
too. Believe it or not, our versioning scheme is actually unique and as
such is a marketing tool :)

I'm not saying it is perfect, maybe we need to actually change how we
use it. What I mean by that is every even point release so .0 .2 we try
and have as much shiny in there as possible, and every odd point release
we concentrate on stability?

Regards,

Andy

--