Re: [opensuse-boosters] openSUSE versioning scheme
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:45:10 +0200
Le mercredi 16 juin 2010, à 15:27 +0200, Michael Loeffler a écrit :
Moin,
On Wednesday 16 June 2010 15:04:50 Vincent Untz wrote:
Hey,

Le mercredi 16 juin 2010, à 14:50 +0200, Pavol Rusnak a écrit :
Hi!

This has been discussed somehow but without any conclusion. Current
versioning scheme is confusing and does not make sense (now that we are
not syncing releases with SLE). If we are willing to change this we
should come up with some proposals and let the community decide. Ideas?
Before discussing how it should be changed we should know why we should
change
and what benefits we do have with the change. Just changing to change an old
habit I fear is not worth it.

First, there's absolutely no technical reason to change this. It's
really about marketing and sending a signal to various audiences (our
community, our users, media, for example).

Several things I can think of:

+ breaks the impression that openSUSE is made to allow SLE to exist
(SLE11 based on 11.1, eg).

+ the current versioning scheme makes sense to only a few people. I
have no idea why it makes sense. For example, the next version should
apparently be 12.0. For most users, switching from 11.x to 12.0 means
that we add tons of improvements that justify this change. That's
what I call high expectations that have no reason to exist.

+ with the openSUSE strategy we'll have, we can do some new promotion.
And updating the versioning scheme sends a clear signal that
something changed, which helps promoting the strategy. Yes, that
sounds stupid; it's marketing :-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.