Moderating lists (was Re: [opensuse-boosters] Hennes Workreport)
  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 15:49:13 +0100
On Monday 08 of March 2010, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Tried to get rid of some poisonous people on the mailinglists

And most likely failed, like all the previous attempts :(. How are actually
currently the mailing lists handled? Is there something more than just the
netiquette wiki page and the (lack of, often) goodwill of all participants to
follow it?

I'm getting tired watching the dump the opensuse@ list is, it's not uncommon
for people to call each other names or do other kinds of things that are
clearly against the rules and make the lists a pain for people who would
actually like to use them for something useful (and I've seen a number of
complaints about that). Apparently just reason and goodwill do not work with
some people and there I really think some of these should be warned and then
kicked out if they are too stupid to act well.

I'm not sure how to go exactly about this, but KDE has a community team (or
whatever the name is exactly) that tries to keep an eye on issues like this,
can be pointed to problems and they first try to solve it and if nothing
works they eventually ban the problematic person. Maybe we could try
something similar? I don't know who to actually grant the power and
responsibility, but maybe we could start by first just announcing a contact
where to report problems and I'd hope eventually some people would turn out
to be good candidates to do the actual work.

IIRC one of the topics we discussed in September was improving the lists and
this is different from the others that it is long-term but relatively
low-effort. In the end it could be quickly more efficiently spent time than
just random unorganized attempts.

--
Lubos Lunak
openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer