[opensuse-boosters] [Discoverable centralized documentation] Use Portals?
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:08:55 +0200
Hi,

I looked into how wikipedia organizes specific content areas. They use
Portals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Portal

"The idea of a portal is to help readers and/or editors navigate their
way through Wikipedia topic areas through pages similar to the Main
Page. In essence, portals are useful entry-points to Wikipedia content."

Sounds exactly what we want to achieve i think. For an example portal
have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Linux

They even have ready made templates. The only thing our wiki instance is
missing is the ParserFunctions extension. I talked to Frank and he is
looking into that.

I think it's a great way of organizing our developer documentation and
once we have the extension and the templates in our wiki everybody can
make use of this technique. I also think that the policies around these
portals look very good and we should adopt them too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Portal/Guidelines

What do you think?

Henne

--