[opensuse-autoinstall] Persistent enumeration of net devices
  • From: "Andreas Taschner" <ataschner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:31:11 +0100
Hi

My customer has run into what seems to be a general problem regarding the
network interface names.
They want to create an autoyast-based install of SLES11 on 100+ HP DL380 and
DL360 machines, which are all equipped with an extra interface card.
However Linux maps the logical interfaces depending on which of the internal or
the extra card that answer first during the installation. This mapping can also
differ from one OS installation to the next on the same box.

We somehow need to ensure persistent mapping of device names to real physical
ports.

Trying to work around this they have developed as script that will be run after
the SLESinstallation.
The script will replace the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file with
new rules that
* Splits the name space of eth into "drivername" with individual enumeration,
for each driver.
* Uses busid instead of MAC to facilitate easy swap of broken cards. Also pci
bus-id naming seems to follow the physical port assignment on the ports, which
MAC address does not.

However there must (hopefully) be an easier way of achieving this..

Despite searching high and low we have had no success in finding out how to
switch to bus-id instead of MAC and to adapt the naming in
/lib/udev/write_net_rules.
How to do using yast2 is well described, but autoyast or adapting the generator
scripts is very unclear. Most information talks about changing the rule-file
itself, but not the scripts that generate it.

Any information on how to do this would be most helpful.

Thank you.

Best regards

Andreas Taschner
Designated Support Engineer