[opensuse-autoinstall] Re: problem pxe booting opensuse 11.3 (bad kernel format, EFI?)
  • From: Mike Coleman <tutufan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:48:14 -0500
Oops. The files I was actually looking for are in the 'loader'
subdirectory. So please ignore this (and the *-xen files).

Mike

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Mike Coleman <tutufan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I downloaded the opensuse 11.3 today hoping it'd be a quick upgrade
from my existing opensuse 11.2 setup (gPXE to load the kernel and jump
into autoyast).  In the past, it's just been an easy matter of copying
the kernel and initrd off of the DVD and away we go.

But not in 11.3.  Apparently the kernel format has changed, at least
according to 'file'.  It's no longer something recognized as a kernel,
but instead is a gzip'ed ELF image.  I gather by poking around on the
disk that it's being loaded by efi, which I'm guessing is some sort of
EFI loader.  Whatever it is, gPXE doesn't recognize it, and I'm
guessing PXELINUX won't either.

The doc on the disk links to some sort of "remote install" document,
but unfortunately that link is dead.  I'm assuming it got lost in the
wiki cutover.

I know this is slightly off-topic, but does anyone know the trick to
booting this kernel over pxe?

Thanks,
Mike