Re: [opensuse-autoinstall] Now lost network woes [Problems with GRUB : sh: /usr/sbin/grub: No such file or directory]
  • From: Simon Loewenthal <simon.loewenthal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:39:51 +0200
Dear all,

I tried to replicate this error today, but failed, because now half
way through the installation breaks with an error message stating that
it cannot find the installation source (NFS). This makes me think that
the network is being incorrectly configured (or correctly configured by
AutoYast, but is useless for our network).

The checked the DHCP logs on the autoyast server, and only 1 IP is let
out to the client. It does not ask for another one later for the same
NIC nor the second NIC (There are two NICs on the client, although I do
not know whether the second one is cabled up. Remote site and takes a
while for the site management team to check it out).

The network config in the xml file is:
<interfaces config:type="list">
<interface>
<bootproto>static</bootproto>
<device>eth0</device>
<ipaddr>10.205.8.252</ipaddr>
<name>NetXtreme II BCM5708S Gigabit Ethernet</name>
<netmask>255.255.252.0</netmask>
<prefixlen>22</prefixlen>
<startmode>auto</startmode>
<usercontrol>no</usercontrol>
</interface>
</interfaces>

The/etc/dhcpd.conf lets out only the IP 10.205.8.252.

Perhaps, during the install, autoyast decides to use map the second NIC
to eth0, which means it won't find the network. I don't really know
because I have no way of checking. Aborting the install leaves me with
a dead machine.

Thus, is there anyway to make the autoyast xml profile a little more
generic when it comes to settings the NIC? Instead of defining this
below, perhaps one could allow autoyast to stick to the MAC address it
used to boot from. (However I would like to avoid hardcoding the MAC
into the XML file because this sort of defeats the purpose of autoyast)
<device>eth0</device>

Any ideas?

-- Once this is solved I can move back to the grub not found problem.