Re: [suse-autoinstall] Upgrade 9.0 -> 9.1 went totally wrong
  • From: Roy Butler <roy.butler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 21:05:49 +0000 (UTC)
Gery,

Is your root-partition on an SATA drive? If so, maybe the upgrade feature isn't accomodating the device file change between the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

Roy

Wolfgang.Bauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello everybody,

I tried to install SuSE 9.1 yesterday by trying to Upgrade my
9.0-installation. The nightmare was as follows:

The first problem I encountered was that yast was not able to mount my
root-partition (reiserfs) although my 9.0-installation worked properly...

After a few tries, I used the "Auto-Repair Installed System"-feature (if
you still use 9.0 - DONT USE THIS FEATURE!!!). First it worked very nicely
until it got to the point where it checked the installation. The
repair-function noticed that the 9.1-installation was faulty (right, as it
was a 9.0-installation) and upgraded some packages. After a reboot the
system did not come up (could not find kernel). Well, yast-installation
again - could not mount root-filesystem. Damn.

I tried many things but when I used "Reset Options" from the menu on the
bottom YAST COULD MOUNT MY PARTITION - there were no other settings but (by
magic) now it worked (could this be a bug?!). But as the repair-system
changed my old 9.0-installation "There was an error upgrading your system".

After I copied all my /home-data to my windowspartition via text-console
and freshly installed 9.1, I had a running linux-system again. But I really
have to say: poor upgrade-system. It used to work better with older
Suse-distributions...

Btw. I'm not a Linux novice (I use Linux since 1994) but it seems that you
must not rely on "automatic upgrade functionalities"...

Sad, sad.

Gery
Dipl.-Ing. Wolfgang Gernot Bauer, Leiter Internet
Schoellerbank AG, Sterneckstrasse 5, 5024 Salzburg, Austria/Europe
Tel.: ++43-662-8684-364, Fax.: ++43-662-8684-44364
Email: mailto:wolfgang.bauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, WWW:
http://www.schoellerbank.at

Diese Nachricht dient ausschließlich zu Informationszwecken und ist nur für
den Gebrauch des Empfängers bestimmt.
This message is only for informational purposes and is intended solely for
the use of the addressee.