Static IP problem
  • From: "Jeff Crow" <JCROW@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:39:30 +0000 (UTC)
First a bit of background information. I am auto-installing SuSE Linux
(multiple versions, SLES 8, 9.0, etc.) vi HTTP. During the autoinstall
process I am using DHCP, ie when the machine first boots up it gets
assigned an address. However, during install I assign the machine a
static ip address, which is set up in the configuration file.

Now the problem. After the sucessful completion of installation when I
log into the machine, the network interface is not configured with the
static IP address, but with a dynamic one. I can see this through
ifconfig. If I reboot the machine, then the static IP address gets
bound to the NIC and everything is fine. I do have the 'Reboot after
Installation' set to true ( <reboot config:type="boolean">true</reboot>
).

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening and what I can do to
resolve this so that the machine has the correct static IP address after
installation?

Thank you very much,

Jeff Crow