Re: [opensuse-artwork] artorkw and copyright/licence
  • From: Marcus Moeller <marcus.moeller@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 17:45:55 +0100
Hi all.

In the general meeting of yesterday evening we proposed to have a
discussion about licencing.

Some hints:

* There are many licences in the wild :
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Accepted_licences

* as long as "art" is involved (at least I know this for photography),
there is an inalienable right for the author
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works)

That said the problems of licencing of artwork are numerous. I could
lead a similar discussion for documents for the LDP that had as result
this licence page http://wiki.tldp.org/LdpWikiDefaultLicence

The problems:

* artwork is often difficult to label - how can we know who is the
author? (exifs for photographs, but for drawings or logos or posters or
flyers?)

* there are often many authors for the same work

* we do not have enough artists in openSUSE. As we don't have money to
pay for some, we have to reward them. The minimum reward is to credit
them of the work.

Some solutions:

* have a document in the distro/wiki... with the artwork authors name
like in news papers

* copy this document in the release notes

What kind of licence

Given we have many artworks in the distro/project, having various
licences may lead to great difficulties.

A very common licence is cc-by-sa.

What about CC0:

http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode

it's fully compatible with GPL (even the permissive fallback license).

Greets
Marcus