Re: [opensuse-artwork] Quotes/interviews wanted: how you got involved
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 10:19:12 +0100
Mandag den 8. november 2010 02:43:57 skrev Helen:
I'm working on an article on getting involved in open source projects,
aimed at non-technical people.

I'd be keen to hear your stories about getting involved in doing
openSUSE artwork and any other projects that you do.

You can write a little or a lot, it's up to you. Something like how
you first got involved, your background and tips on the best way to
get started, any mistakes you made and so on.

Here's a brief story of how I got started doing the YaST Oxygen icon theme.

Novell announced they'd no longer maintain the Crystal icon theme for YaST,
and said nonsense like "Tango icons will integrate well in KDE4", I could not
live with that, so I decided to try and collect an iconset using existing
Oxygen icons - initially it was just intended for my own use and as a proof of
concept. I thought it worked ok, so I put it on kde-look.org and blogged about
it.

To my surprise a lot of things started happening. Martin Lasarsch packaged the
icon theme, Marco Michna wrote a yast theme selector module at Novell Hackweek
and Stephan Kulow even committed the theme to be included in the actual
distro.

Initially I had just used Oxygen icons as they were, so the theme had a lot of
duplicates and such, but now that people were actually using it I had to make
it a lot better. I have no artistic skills at all - before getting myself into
this situation, I think I had only ever launched Inkscape once or twice, but I
polished up the theme a bit by modifying and "remixing" existing Oxygen icons.

The YaST Oxygen icon theme has now been the default for KDE users for 3-4
releases - and I haven't heard too many complaints about it, though I think it
could be a lot better if done by a proper experienced artist, but at least it
beats using Tango icons.

I have stories about many other non-technical contributions btw. if you're
interested (translation, opensuse-guide.org, bugreporting, etc.) :-)