Re: [opensuse-artwork] widget theme proposal for 11.2
  • From: "Kevin \"Yeaux\" Dupuy" <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 16:59:59 -0500
On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 13:12 +0200, Jakub Steiner wrote:
For a couple of releases we haven't changed the widget and window
decoration theme, at least on the GNOME side. I like being conservative
about something that needs to be mainly readable and you'll be staring
at for a long time, but it really is time to refresh that.

The current GNOME theme was from Spring 2006, so I'd agree ;-)

I've given an initial stab at a metatheme and brought together the dark
grey and green elements we've had in the boot and splash screens. There
are some contrast issues when using a dark widget theme, however, so the
dark grey is reserved only for the panel and application menus. We
probably want to provide an alternative color scheme as well as having a
greenish widget theme, greenish WM decorations and a green wallpaper may
be too much SUSE for some people to handle :) Will work with Garrett
LeSage on this.

You can grab and test the theme out[2]. You will need to checkout and
install the Murrine theme engine from svn trunk (gnome svn).

Sounds good to me, I'll give the theme a look soon ;-)

Something that relates to widgets quite closely are fonts. Garrett
LeSage proposed to use the Apache licensed Droid font family as a
default in place of Dejavu for 11.2. Aaron Bockover already packaged it
for openSUSE[3] so you can try it out. The sans-serif variant is a great
screen font, with a more compact metrics than Dejavu. I agree we should
push for the switch.

Also Jakub, what would you like to do with the Pixel Pool? We had some
good ideas for 11.1, do you still want to use it to solicit designs for
the wallpaper, bootsplash, etc. or would you like to do something else
for those?
--
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy
openSUSE Member