Re: [opensuse-arm] Ideas to improve ARM in openSUSE
  • From: Guillaume Gardet <guillaume.gardet@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 10:38:49 +0200

Le 02/05/2012 21:59, endym a écrit :
Am 02.05.2012 09:48, schrieb Guillaume Gardet:

Le 01/05/2012 22:10, endym a écrit :
Am 01.05.2012 19:25, schrieb Guillaume Gardet:
Hi,

Just some ideas.

It would be nice to:
* Have some non-JeOS images : Desktop with Xfce, LXDE, E17, JWM or IceWM or
something else which is light) (and server
in text mode?)
* Improve kernel configs and maybe have a system to follow and update ARM
configs (common/specific options) (a (wiki)
table, a spreadsheet, or something else which is easily editable and easy to
use). Maybe some tools already exist?
* Have some pages on the wiki which tell users how to use openSUSE images for
their ARM board.
* Have some pages on the wiki which tell users (and developpers) what is the
support level of a given board (USB OK,
Ethernet KO, etc.).

I started some wiki things on my user page:
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Guillaume_G Feel free to edit it if needed.
I will move it to real wiki pages once there are enough infos. Is there a
preferred wiki structure or namespace? Or only
use Category:ARM and links from Portal:ARM are enough?

It would be interesting to know who use which board to have a good start for
supported hardware.

I have the pandaboard ES and can do some testing in my spare time. Until now I
still use the Build10.1 image (w/o WIFI
support).
Is it possible to upgrade via "zypper up" meanwhile? My last try wasn't
successful
(http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-arm/2012-04/msg00026.html).

There is a 10.2 image available for pandaboard but I am not sure if there are
some improvements between 10.1 and 10.2
images. You can get the kernel version with 'uname -a'.
Then, you can report tests with USB host, USB OTG, SD/MMC, Audio In, audio Out,
Ethernet, UART, DVI, HDMI, Bluetooth and
WiFi.

I guess there will be a new image in the next couple of days, so I think it's
more reasonable to do these tests then?!
Are there any test cases/scripts defined or shall I perform some simple "good
cases" tests?

Yes, you can wait for that. ATM, there are no test cases/scripts, just try if
USB, DVI, HDMI, etc. are working fine. If you have time you can test your
current image/kernel and then the next image to see if there are any
improvements or regression.

New kernel with wifi support is not yet available. Do you know if you need
calibration [0] for your wifi?

If I understand the description here
(http://omappedia.org/wiki/Mac80211_based_open_source_architecture#Firmware_and_NVS_for_the_WLAN)
right, all necessary files already exists in a git repository?!
Anyway, it might be a good idea to configure the kernel to support a
calibration:
NL80211_TESTMODE=y (nl80211 testmode commands)

Unfortunatly NL80211_TESTMODE is not set. Is there something else you need for
pandaboard?

CRC7=m
FW_LOADER=m

They are already set.

as recommened in [0].
As soon as an image with wifi enabled exists, I will try it first without
calibration.

Ok. Fine.

Guillaume

'zypper up' may break your board again since kernel update is not yet handle
for the bootloader. I think it should be
done for next images.

Thanks.

Guillaume

[0]: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/wl12xx/calibrator