Re: [opensuse-arm] openSUSE on Beagleboard xM

On 24.02.2012, at 17:24, Guillaume Gardet wrote:

Le 24/02/2012 17:19, Guillaume Gardet a écrit :

Le 24/02/2012 17:03, Alexander Graf a écrit :
Hi Guillaume,

On 24.02.2012, at 16:51, Guillaume Gardet wrote:

Hi,

I downloaded images from :
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Factory:/ARM/images/
for the beagleboard xM
Ah, cool, thanks a lot for trying it out!
:) Thanks for the fast answer.
I managed to boot using this kernel and rootfs but I have no modules
loaded and there is nothing in /lib/modules, so I can only use built-in
drivers.

The thing is I did not used initrd since I am not sure how to handle it. I
think initrd has all the kernel modules.
Yeah, most device drivers are part of the initrd. And since we use LVM for
/, you definitely need an initrd.

Could you tell me how to use the initrd with u-boot, please?
If you just take the beagle image and directly dump it onto your board, it
should load the kiwi initrd with our kernel automatically. IIRC things will
break after reboot, because mkinitrd isn't fixed yet, but you should be
able to properly boot up the image at least once.
I do not think it will work since there is no MLO nor u-boot.bin nor
boot.scr script in the archive.
If I dd files, it won't boot since it is not an image file (and there is no
MLO).
If I copy files (cp) it won't work since u-boot does not know about it. I
need the kernel cmdline to boot properly.

Ooops. I just noticed there are 2 files:
LimeJeOS-openSUSE-Factory-ARM-beagle.armv7l-1.12.1-Build6.6.raw.bz2
LimeJeOS-openSUSE-Factory-ARM-beagle.armv7l-1.12.1-Build6.6-raw.tar.bz2

I will try the .raw right now and tell it if it is working!

Yeah, I still need to figure out why we generate 2 files :o. Also, you won't
find MLO - it's directly written to offset 128kb on the raw image for us, since
that allows us to be completely FAT-less :)