Re: [opensuse-arm] ARM status
On Sun, November 27, 2011 8:35 pm, Alexander Graf wrote:

On 27.11.2011, at 20:17, Tomas Cech wrote:

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 04:53:36PM +0100, Alexander Graf wrote:
Hi guys,

It's time for a small status update. This won't be an extensive list,
but at least give you an overview of what has happened since the last
time :).

*** We can successfully build ~3500 out of ~4700 Factory packages! ***

I'm still not able to find, where is the right project with armv7l
failing packages, could somebody send link?

This one
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?commit=Filter%3A&failed=1&pkgname=&repo_armv5el=1&repo_armv7hl=1&repo_images=1&arch_armv5el=1&arch_armv7hl=1&arch_local=1&project=openSUSE%3AFactory%3AARM&defaults=0
(which can be found on http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:ARM) doesn't show
any armv7l packages...

Ah, sorry, I fixed the link on the wiki now :). Basically your portal to
any interesting information is at

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=openSUSE:Factory:ARM

Unfortunately Factory is updating so fast that we just haven't managed
to do a full build of all these shina packages for the last 3 weeks, so
packages you see in the download repository are from 3 weeks ago. To
fetch the newer builds, just run "osc getbinaries ...". Beware of
dragons though :).

If it is worth of effort, I can set up that new Efika MX as OBS worker
(if someone help me - prusnak or miska probably already have
experience with this). I would just disable it when I'm trying to fix
or test something.

Yes, please :). Adrian probably has a pretty clear idea on what's required
to get this rolling.

So what is still missing from here? Well, these are the pieces I'm
tracking right now:

* Kiwi support (Marcus is on it!)
* Kernel testing and making-it-work [1]

I think/hope that I can help a bit here.

I got the pandaboard kernel reasonably well working now, so if you could
tackle the i.MX51 one, I would very much appreciate it :).

* Exception handling [1] keeps us from building Java, keeps us from
building most of the other 1200 packages
* hwinfo probably needs some love for ARM
* yast2 could use some love as well :)
* X drivers are probably still missing
* Fixing broken packages, there are still a few that are not broken
because of exception handling :)
And with this hopefully too.

There are a couple of generic broken ones thanks to the recent ncurses
changes in factory. I'm still puzzled why bash doesn't compile anymore for
example - it's definitely related to the curses change.

I assume this is the problem, see buildlog (
https://build.opensuse.org/package/rawlog?arch=armv7l&package=bash&project=openSUSE%3AFactory%3AARM&repository=standard
) :

<qoute>
checking version of installed readline library... configure: WARNING:
Could not test version of installed readline library.
configure: WARNING: installed readline library is too old to be linked
with bash
configure: WARNING: using private bash version
</quote>

Then there are a number of packages that complain in thumb mode "swp"
instructions. However, swp is not guaranteed by the armv7 architecture
anymore, so if there's old thumb code somewhere which gets triggered by
our build, you see those swp errors. The easy fix is to just disable thumb
for that package. Just check texlive-bin on how that works :).

Alex

Regards,

Joop.