Re: [opensuse-arm] bootstrapping current Factory for ARM
On Fri, September 23, 2011 8:12 pm, Dirk Müller wrote:

Hi,

The last few days Adrian and I have been working on reviving
Base:build:arm,
and at least for armv7el we're quite near a complete build.

That's great to hear. Is it possible to also build armv8el?

The current state is that we've rebuilt all current sources versions of
the
toolchain for Factory, and are in a state where it can almost bootstrap
itself.

I'm saying almost because it seems the gcc4.6 compiler is miscompiling
things,
so the rpm db corrupts itself quite quickly. I'm still trying to find a
fix
for that. On the other side we did not get far enough with 4.4 either, so
it
seems we currently do need a newer compiler.

We've also setup openSUSE:Factory:ARM, which is supposed to bootstrap
itself
and become a complete Factory distribution. We'll be working on this
during
the next week. Currently this project is empty and not yet building due to
some initial issues still.

Currently we're building armv7el with softfp, although people have been
indicating that we should switch to hardfp, and revive armv5el for the
softfp
targets. Any other comments?

Is it possible to also build armv8el? armv7 with hardfp if I'm not
mistaken. ( armv7hl ) . That'll get that maximum performance out of Cortex
A8/A9.

Any help in the form of submitrequests is appreciated :-)

Greetings,
Dirk

Regards,

Joop.