RE: [opensuse-arm] timeline?
-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Merriam [mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2011 9:58 PM
To: opensuse-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse-arm] timeline?

Hans,

I too (and others) have wondered about this. The recently approved
openSUSE strategy said, I think, that mobile devices are not a goal for
openSUSE. You and I know that most mobile devices use ARM processors
but there are a few desktop class devices that do also. More ARM
desktop and server devices are expected in the near future.

Ubuntu has announced that they intend to support ARM servers. They are
current testing using Pandaboards.

In the mean time I believe the openSUSE project's response to your
question is "Thank you for volunteering". That have said a port to ARM
is welcome but they can provide only general assistance.

The Linaro foundation has links to development hardware.
http://www.linaro.org/low-cost-development-boards

Compulab is offering discounts on their Trimslice desktops is you can
convince them you will use it to port an open source project to ARM.
http://trimslice.com/web/dev-kit

Marvell has a number of development kits available for purchase. Most
of them are ARM5 processors but the not-yet-available D2plug is an ARM7
processor.
http://plugcomputer.org/development-kits/

As you know the OBS can build ARM packages. openSUSE uses kiwi to turn
those packages in to deploy-able images. I don't think it has been
tested on ARM but it is written in PERL and should be easy to port.

So there you go. Talk your employer into buying a few development kits.
Install another distribution on it. Port kiwi to that and try to build
an openSUSE image for it. In days, weeks, months or years you will
have a working openSUSE distribution.

I am sure you win a t-shirt for that :).

Bill