[opensuse-announce] openSUSE Build Service 2.0 Beta1 Release Brings New User Interface
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 21:11:20 +0200
The openSUSE Build Service (obs) is an open package and distribution
development platform that provides a transparent infrastructure that allows
developers to build for various major Linux distributions and
architectures.

The public server build.opensuse.org is available for all open source
developers to build packages for the most popular distributions incl.
Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, openSUSE, Red Hat, SUSE Linux Enterprise and
Ubuntu. It is also used to build the openSUSE distribution.

This is the first beta release of version 2.0. Version 2.0 is planned to be
released on June 10th. We have updated the public server
http://build.opensuse.org with the current code stream as part of our
testing. We invite others running a build service to test the code and give
feedback via the opensuse-buildservice mailing list and report bugs in
bugzilla.

Beta1 is feature complete, new features will go in the next major release
(release planned for end of 2010), we will concentrate on fixing bugs now.

Beta1 includes the following major changes:
New Web UI Tailor-Made for Packagers

The new Web UI makes your work more efficient as stuff is where it is
expected, it loads faster and gives you a better access to projects,
packages and meta data.
Public Read Access For Convenient Collaboration

Anonymous access gets you to packages and projects without log-in. This is
pretty convenient for the users and promotes all packages in the Build
Service more to the world as now search engines can index the Build Service
as well. It makes it also easy to collaborate with other developers to show
them your patches or log files.
New Features for Cooperation in a Team

With obs 2.0 review handling by a team is possible and roles can get
assigned to groups instead of just to a single person.
Additional Changes

The full list of changes is available as part of the OBS Roadmap and
includes also the following enhancements:

* An easy way to view unsubmitted changes in development projects or
new upstream releases. This is used especially for our openSUSE
distribution development.
* The request system has been enhanced: A new request type to add or
change the user list of packages or projects has been added. Also review
handling is now possible to allow a team to review changes prior to
accepting a request.
* Developers can receive notifications if one of their package gets
branched by others.
* Improved source handling: It’s possible to undelete packages. Meta
data are now under version control.
* The build service has seen many speedups so that packages get build
faster.

You can try the obs 2.0 beta1 either on http://build.opensuse.org or in
your own infrastructure. Deployment is possible directly from source code
or from our combined server and worker virtual appliance image.
Thanks!

This is a release where many different people were involved in development
and even more in testing by using the openSUSE instance. We received also a
number of good feature requests that got implemented. Thanks to everybody
that participated!

I’d like to give special credit for the great WebUI work done by the
Boosters team, mainly Coolo and Tom!

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany