Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-announce (10 mails)
|< Previous||Next >|
[opensuse-announce] openSUSE 10.3 Alpha5 Released
- From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:11:00 +0200
- Message-id: <ho3b0uzkwb.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I'm glad to announce openSUSE 10.3 Alpha5.
Important Changes Since Alpha4
The following are some highlights of Alpha5 compared to Alpha4:
* Linux 2.6.22 rc4
* Reduced size and cleaned up dependencies of some packages
* glibc 2.6
* Emacs 22.1
* OpenOffice.Org 2.2.1 rc3
* Lots of package renames and splits to create smaller systems and allow
a one CD installation.
* Two one CD installation media: A GNOME CD and a KDE CD. Both contain
a small desktop. Please review the media and tell us changes. This
is our very first version - I would call it pre-Alpha ;-)
* If openSUSE is installed from CDs, user is offered to bring up
network connection in order to be able to install a remote add-on
product together with openSUSE.
A more detailed list of changes is available via
Most Annoying Bugs
So far the following critical bugs have been found, please read before
* YaST do not accept the default gpg key by default and asks for import
during registration. (Bug 283738)
* grub config completely broken on update (Bug 283709)
* No remote repository gets added during installation (Bug 283740)
* ifup/getcfg are broken, so the traditional network scripts will not
work - workaround: Use NetworkManager (Bug 283724).
* No NIS offered during installation (Bug 270899)
The list of annoying bugs is found here as well, please update it if
you find more:
Call for Testing
* Please test the new 1 CD GNOME and KDE installation media and tell
us how to improve them. Please keep in mind the space constraints.
* Please test the network setup at the beginning and that you can add
remote installation sources even if installing from CD.
* Live DVD
A live DVD is not part of this release, but it can be create by
anyone using the kiwi config for current Factory.
1) Add the openSUSE:Tools project repository, if you do not have it yet:
Please note that you may need a different repo, if you do not use openSUSE
10.2 on your workstation.
2) install or update the kiwi live system description:
zypper install kiwi-desc-livesystem
3) Create a Live image, be sure that no /tmp/mydvd directory does exist
Kiwi will create an image for that architecture what you run as host system.
4) Burn the image and boot it :)
Please test InstLux, to start a Linux installation under Windows.
Thanks a lot for Jordi for his great work! Our first tests showed
that this might not work under Vista since the binary is not signed.
Take care about the uninstaller of the openSUSE installer which gets
blocked by Vista Popup Blocker after login.
Network installation with InstLux is now available and needs some
further testing. InstLux Network Installer needs no special media
only a working internet connection. The InstLux Network Installer
can be found at:
* OpenOffice.Org 2.2.1 RC3
Please test the new version!
* libata for IDE devices
We're using the libata stack now also for IDE controllers. Please
do test that an update works and all files are changed
automatically (libata uses /dev/sda for the first harddisk instead
of /dev/hda). Disks with more than 15 partitions are not handled
right now, we're still evaluating whether there is a good solution.
to use the old scheme, boot with "hwprobe=-modules.pata".
Media and Download
openSUSE 10.3 Alpha4 for i386, x86-64 and ppc comes as different media
* 1 GNOME Installation CD for i386 (NEW!)
* 1 KDE Installation CD for i386 (NEW!)
* 6 CDs (CD 6 was needed due to the increase space of TeXLive)
* 1 AddOn CD with only NonOSS packages on it
* 1 AddOn CD with language packages that are used for extra
languages (the 6 CDs contain support for english, french, italian, spanish,
german, chinese, japanese, czech, danish, norwegian, khmer,
hungarian, polish) (the 6 CDs have support for installation in all
languages, just extra packages are only on this extra media)
* 1 DVD containing the contents of the 6 CDs and the NonOSS AddOn CD
* CDs/DVDs containing the sources corresponding to the media
We have created Delta ISOs from openSUSE 10.3 Alpha4. Please use them
The DVDs and the source media are only available via bittorrent.
Please report all bugs you find on in our bugzilla as explained in
http://bugs.opensuse.org, discussion is most appropriate on the
opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list.
To download media, please use the links provided at:
The next Alphas are:
* Thu, Jul 6 openSUSE 10.3 Alpha5+ release (internal)
* Thu, Jul 19 openSUSE 10.3 Alpha6 release
Have a lot of fun,
Andreas Jaeger, Director Platform / openSUSE, aj@xxxxxxx
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F FED1 389A 563C C272 A126
|< Previous||Next >|