Re: [opensuse-amd64] Installing SUSE 10.1 x64 on a new machine
  • From: "Joachim Deguara" <joachim.deguara@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 10:16:34 +0100
"Patrick Shanahan" <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 1:18 06/12/2006 +0100 :
> * Ben Ladd <fat_jimster@xxxxxxxxxxx> [12-05-06 16:01]:
>> When I boot the machine up, it powers off. When the init starts, it
>> tries to acheive level 5, but there is a yellow "warning" when it
>> gets to that part of the boot, then it just sends an init 0 and the
>> machine shuts down.
>>
>> I am a linux newbie, but i want to learn how to use it!
>>
>> Can anyone give me a hand? I've trawled the archives for a bit and
>> found nowt!
>
> Sounds like your X display is not configured correctly, but you have
> not told us what equipment you have.

I doubt it is X as that *should* not cause a restart. You can add the
parameter "3" at the boot screen which will boot into runlevel 3 where X
does not run. Did the install work ok and you are only have problem
booting after the install happened? Did you get to the part in the
install where you specify root password?

Of course the best in such a situation is to get the serial console
output if possible [1].

-joachim

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Serial_Null_Modem_Connection