ATI driver hangs the machine when switching users
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:44:19 -0600
Hi,
sorry for the double-post, but I do not know if this is 64-bit
specific, as I do not have 32-bit intsallation to test.

Anyway:
SuSE 10 x86_64
kernel 2.6.13-15.8-default
xorg - 6.8.2-100.2
ati prop. driver - 8.22.5-x86_64 (tried 8.21.7 - same problem)
videocard - ATI X800 - ExpressPCI
KDE - 3.5.1 Level "a"

The problem:
Using the switch user option of KDE to start a new kdm for a second
user to login works OK, The user can login. But if then I try
Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to the other session, or when I close the new
session, or if I switch to virtual terminal (Ctrl-ALt-1..6), and try
to get back to any X one (Alt7-8) it badly hangs the machine. No
remote access either, so I can not kill the X server.

Looks like the problem is with the ati proprietary driver, as if I
uninstall it and use the generic one, everything works just fine.

Do someone have such a problem? Is it isolated only to the 64bit
version, or it happen with the 32 bit as well?

Any suggestions how to solve/or at least debug and try to solve the
problem? ATI's site is horrible, so before I even try to deal with
them, I'd like to receive as much as possible information.

Any experience/opinion is welcome.

Cheers

Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)