motherboard selection comments please
  • From: "Lonn" <lonn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 02:45:23 +0000 (UTC)
Hi,

I'm looking at some barebones rigs with Athlon64 3400 in the socket

A vendor offers Athlon64 3400 on many boards - some easy to weed out.

Do all the devices on these boards work well with SUSE?

Abit AN8 Ultra nF4 chipset - this board is loaded

Abit KN8 Ultra nF4 chipset - about the same as above, but less RAID, and
less IEEE1394

MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum - loaded but SATA not 3G, no RAID

It bugs me that most boards now offer only 3 PCI slots.

Would you suggest a loaded board that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
Especially, do you use one with built in 802.11g? Does that present any
limiting issues such as incompatibility with some or many wireless routers?

Lonn