Re: [suse-amd64] Suse 9.3 - which kernel and gcc ?
  • From: "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:34:33 +0000 (UTC)
Andreas Jaeger wrote:

Bernd Paysan <bernd.paysan@xxxxxx> writes:

On Thursday 10 March 2005 16:55, Kevin_Gassiot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Saw the announcment about the imminent release of Suse 9.3 using the
2.6.11 kernel. Can you tell me which version of gcc will be packaged
with this release ? I am looking for gcc 3.4.3 ( I know I can download
and build it, I am just curious about what will be packaged :) What is
the official release date for this ?

Heise reports "mid of April". I suspect that the GCC will be some prerelease, as it always was with SuSE in the past (pre-4.0.0).

Wrong ;-)

We only added once a prerelease and this was GCC 3.2 - GCC missed the
deadline...

We'll have the GCC 3.3.5 from the hammer-branch - this one has all of
the x86-64 patches in it that you need.

Btw. current GCC 4.0 versions are on ftp.suse.com/pub/people/aj/...

I've some other things on my wishlist:

Too late to do anything for 9.3 - but I'll tell folks for the next
release.

* MythTV

Do you have an URL?

* mplayer (ok, that will be a crippled version, so never mind ;-)

The mplayer folks asked us to either ship the full version or none:-(.

* Gforth with ffcall-support (http://www.haible.de/bruno/packages-ffcall-README.html), that's mainly an issue sind I'm one of the Gforth developper, and I hate to tell people that when they use SuSE, they have to compile it from the sources.
* beamer LaTeX style

Is that in current teTeX?

Andreas

Will this release include the PatchCD upgrades ? How about installing with > 2 GB of RAM ?