Re: [suse-amd64] locks on Asus A8V
  • From: Alex Angerhofer <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:37:00 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Stefan,

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Stefan Suurmeijer wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Last week I bought an Asus A8V motherboard with an AMD64 3000+ and
> installed SuSE 64 bit on it. So far, not to my satisfaction however.

I have the same system as you with an AMD64 2200+ on it.

> This week, I've had more hanging systems than the previous 5 years. I've
> been consistenly able to reproduce a system hang by doing the following:
>
> - Installed SuSE 9.2 64 bit
> - Start an ssh session to an external machine
> - Start an ssh session from the external machine back to your own machine
> - Generate some actions, for example a few directory listings

My system runs decently. The only times I had freezes and hang-ups where
when I had:
- Two hard drives connected to the two SATA connectors at the same time.
Everytime the second hard drive was to be accessed the system hung. I
ended up putting the second drive on the RAID disabling it in the BIOS.
- The overclocking set up on AUTO in the BIOS. Putting the frequency right
on what it was supposed to be helped a lot.
- My Kingston RAM developed a memory hole at the 993 MB point. Found that
with memtest86. After RAM replacement things were much improved.

> Every time, the machine completely freezes. My machine uses SuSE linux
> with out of the box openssh, the remote machine uses commercial ssh (I
> didn't have any openssh machines to test if the same problem occurs).

I doubt that openssh makes your machine freeze. It is probably a hardware
issue. I sometimes observe that ssh is slow after starting a program that
has to tunnel X through the wire. But that shouldn't be the issue in your
case.

> After looking on the net at first I figured it was an issue with the
> onboard LAN adapter, so I disabled it and added a second Intel E100 pro.

My onboard LAN works fine.

> No difference, still locks up. By now, I've disabled pretty much
> everything I could think of that might cause the problem (onboard sound,
> onboard lan, onboard 1394, onboard via SATA chipset, powersaved, etc)
> The only "strange" things I've noticed on the install were that php-swf
> fails to install with an error (but I didn't really need that, so I just
> deselected it) and that irqbalance is started by default but fails, so I
> disabled that too.

Well, I have to admit that the hardware problems I listed above may not be
all possible points of failure. My system sometimes still gets hick-ups.
There may be other issues with this board that I haven't been able to
find. For example, sometimes it failes to boot up and has to be
powercycled. Occasionally, I fail to get all my start-up daemons loaded. I
don't trust ASUS anymore. I have Pentium ASUS boards and they have issues,
too. OTOH, my system is pretty crowded with peripherals and that may have
to do with some of these issues as well.

Best regards, Alex.