SerialATA disk (again)
  • From: Michaÿffffb3 Woÿffff9fniak <mikiwoz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:21:32 +0000 (UTC)
I send this message again, as I have gotten an e-mail
that it might have not been delivered. If it had, I
apologise.

"Did anybody encounter any problems with installing
SuSE 9.2 x86_64 on a system with a SerialATA HD? I
have a Seagate Barracuda 120GB on SerialATA as my
only
disk, and SuSE fails to install (in yast I get a
message that no disks had been found). I have tried
normal, ACPI-less and failsafe installation modes
with
RAID Enabled, then Disabled in BIOS. I could not
find
any "Compatybility mode" or similar BIOS option
though.
sata_nv module loads nice and easy, but:
ata1: no disks found
ata2: ata failed to reply within 30sec
(these are what I remembered - if those messages are
not precise enough, I shall get the exact ones when
try to install SuSE again).

The system:
Athlon64 2800+
Gigabyte K8Triton
2x256 DDR400
GF FX5500
Seagate Barracuda 120GB SerialATA

The disk is fine, as I have a WinXP installed and
running on it; it's partitioned as follows:
20GB (20480MB) - NTFS (WinXP)
~100GB unallocated/unformatted - this is the space
for
GNU/Linux, as it is to be the main system."

Thanks in advance
Mike