Re: [suse-amd64] problems installing 9.1
  • From: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:52:31 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 08:43:30PM +0100, Erik Ester wrote:
> I have a dual opteron rig and can't install suse 9.1 on it. It hangs every
> time.. I've tried it with acpi on, without acpi.. without acpi and DMA, have
> turned all the powersave functions in bios off. It still doesn't work. I
> managed to install it once and during the installation I moved the mouse
> everytime. But it hangs every time when running KDE3. can't use YOU to
> update because of the crashing of the machine. Have run several memory
> tests.. installed Windows XP and ran prime95 for hours, 3d05 for hours. No
> problem no crashes..

It could still be bad memory. Linux uses memory from top down, Windows
from bottom up. If the top memory is bad Windows might not notice
for a long time. Run memtest86 for several hours.

Also I would connect a serial console and boot with console=ttyS0,baudrate
and then see if you can catch some post mortem output during the crash.

-Andi