lost interrupts problem
  • From: rkimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:14:21 +0000 (UTC)
Yesterday logcheck sent me a message about lost interrupts
"kernel: hda: lost interrupt"
yet all seemed to be working well

Google threw up many reports of this error, but no consistent
explanation or context for it occurring. On balance, I would say that
software, perhaps kernel, errors, or configuration issues, seemed to
outnumber hardware ones in the proffered explanations. But I am none the
wiser.

My machine then locked up when experimenting with some unsupported
software in crossover. On rebooting it went into a loop involving lost
interrupts and I reset the machine and went into Windows to see if that
was working - which it was with no problems (I realise that that's not
necessarily much of a guide, but it did rule out catastrophic hardware
problems).

On rebooting linux, the boot process proceeded normally and the system
seems to be fine at the moment, though I do have
"submountd: resmgr: server response code 200" messages
and I remember that resmgr was upgraded the previous night (I have no
idea whether there could be a connection between this and the lost
interrupts).

I'd appreciate some guidance on how to deal with this.

The system, which has operated fine for the last 6 months, is MSI
K8T Master dual opteron, with up-to-date bios, 4GB memory, one maxtor
drive on first IDE, DVD on second IDE, and a second Maxtor on a promise
PCI card, 2.6.5-7.111-smp, 9.1 Prof.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber