Re: [suse-amd64] amd64 laptop choice
  • From: Bodo Bauer <bb@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:04:41 +0000 (UTC)
Wigbert,

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 15:33 +0200, Wigbert Lindenbauer wrote:
> Hello Bodo,
>
> yes I am interested in the details for Suse9.1.

Here you go:

SuSE Linux 9.1

Symptom:

Installation is very slow and machine freezes frequently

Cause:

ACPI issue with ACPI and Hotplug

Solution:

The easy solution is:

* Do a regular installation, but use 'acpi=off' as boot
parameter
* Do a YOU update to get kernel2.6.5-7.95 or better
* add 'yenta_socket' to '/etc/hotplug/blacklist'
* Disable PCMCIA by running 'insserv -r pcmcia'
* Remove 'acpi=off' from boot parameters (either with YaST,
or by editing '/boot/grub/menu.lst'

This will get you a working installation. However PCMCIA
wont work this way. To get PCMCIA working you can either
start the PCMCIA subsystem manually (rcpcmcia start) every
time you need it, or ensure it's started last during the
boot procedure by performing these additional steps:

* Remove '+pcmcia' from the line starting with '$network' in
'/etc/insserv.conf'
* Remove 'coldplug' from line starting with
'X-UnitedLinux-Should-Start:' in '/etc/init.d/pcmcia'
* add 'splash_late' to line starting with 'Required-Start:' in
'/etc/init.d/pcmcia'
* Remove 'pcmcia' from line starting with 'Should-Start:' in
'/etc/init.d/network'
* Run: 'insserv pcmcia ; insserv'

After a reboot everything should work fine, including PCMCIA.

That did it for me...

> Do you also tested the Acer1523-AMD64 notebook with Suse9.2 ?
> I dont like the red Ferrari outfit !

No that I'm aware of.

> Or is there another Suse9.2-well-supported AMD64-notebook with a MOBIL
> version AMD64 ?

Well, there is the Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A 1630. It has a semi supported
WLAN card (RT2500, see http://www.bb-zone.com/misc/rt2500).

We also tested the ASUS L5000D, HP/Compaq Presario R3000 and the Arima
W730. All of those should work well with SL92.

> Is the Netgear WG511T WLAN card (Atheros 54g) supported in Suse9.2-AMD64 ?
> Also with 108 Mbit/s ?

Actually, I don't know. none of the machines we tested had one of these
build in and I don't have a PCMCIA version of this chipset. But I doubt
it'll work. IIRC, even the Atheros driver has a binary only part which
is available for 32bit only.

BB