Re: [suse-amd64] MPlayer 1.0pre5 - Compile Error `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' [SOLVED]
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:05:04 +0000 (UTC)
On Friday 15 October 2004 5:27 am, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 01:57:39PM +0200, ?rn Hansen wrote:
> > fredag 15 oktober 2004 06:32 skrev Scott Leighton:
> > > So, my big question here is is the guy on the mplayer list right? Has
> > > SuSE messed up the location of the correct include files for the
> > > kernel?
> >
> > I'm not a kernel hacker, of course ... but from what I've gathered so
> > far, is that programs that require kernel headers should be acquiring
> > those through /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/build/include ... but SuSE
> > has botched that job, I usually have to fix that link when I build Nvidia
> > driver.
>
> That's intentional. The kernel includes need to be configured in the
> same way as the running kernel (or for all kernels if you want to
> distribute a module in binary form), and that needs some manual steps. For
> simple kernel modules it sometimes doesn't make a difference, but you will
> run into problems with more complex ones.
>
> See /usr/src/linux/README.SUSE for details.
>
> -Andi

OK, you both have confused me even more than I was already confused <g>.

First point, the README Andi references states the following:

"In the installed system, the kernel-source package installs files in the
following directories:

* /usr/src/linux-$VERSION-$RELEASE/

The kernel sources.

* /usr/src/linux

A symbolic link to /usr/src/linux-$VERSION-$RELEASE. "

So, why is it that /usr/src/linux on my box is not a symbolic link, it's a
real directory that contains a bunch of header files dated March 2004.

Second point, and keep in mind that I am basically clueless here, the
original question had to do with compiling MPlayer from source since a
pre-built binary RPM for 64 bit doesn't seem to be available. So, the problem
resolves around compiling an application so it can be installed and run. Has
nothing to do with compiling kernels or kernel modules, just an application.

When I try to compile the MPlayer package using the /usr/src/linux setup
that SuSE put on my machine, it fails with the Compile Error
`CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' error _unless_ I include a configuration switch
to exclude framebuffer support, e.g., --disable-fbdev.

Changing that /usr/src/linux directory to a symbolic link
to /usr/src/linux/include/linux (which is also a real directory with a bunch
of header files with various dates, some as recent as Aug 25th) results in a
compile that is error free without using the --disable-fbdev setting.

So, what does this have to do with /lib/module/.....? I'm totally confused
and I don't think my question has been answered as to whether or not there's
a problem with two sets of header files and no symbolic link.

Sorry for being dense, but I'm just not getting it....

Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/