Re: [suse-amd64] Giving up on 64-bit Linux for now
  • From: David Joyner <joyner.david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 01:02:09 +0000 (UTC)
me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

(Also posted to the main SuSE list so please excuse the lack of context regarding my previous setup)

So I went ahead and picked up an Athrlon 64. I"m much happier with it. It's much much quieter. And
just as fast. There's a problem, though. I absolutely can't get 64-bit SuSE installed properly. 3
times after doing YOU updates my filesystem has been corrupted. About a dozen times I couldn't even
do updates via YOU for some reason. They'd end in the middle mysteriously, then when I tried to run
YOU again either the packages would still need to be installed or they wouldn't be installed and
wouldn't be on the list. Either way it's been a mess. Worst of all, I rely on slrn as my newsreader
(I've been trying to post to the newsgroup and can't) and it crashes when I try to post. It's a
disaster, in short. I'm not sure if I'm trying to do things outside the norm or if there are
generally problems with the 64-bit versions, but I"m beginning to think it's not worth my trouble
for now. I have the chipset I want. I can upgrade later when these hassles go away.
FWIW, my motherboard is an MSI K8MM and my CPU is an AMD Athlon 3200+.

Someone suggested someone here may have some thoughts on what's going wrong. Any ideas given my
setup?

I had a roughly similar problem. It turned out that the hard disk was corrupted,
which seemed to cause a subtle problem with the C compiler. Once I reinstalled on a new
hd all problems went away. You could try running the repair program and see if it finds
bad sectors. Mine did and even said it fixed them but the problems remained until I got a new hd.

Preston