Re: [suse-amd64] Giving up on 64-bit Linux for now
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 01:48:28 +0000 (UTC)
On Friday 17 September 2004 6:27 pm, melissad wrote:
> I set the DVD R RW and the CD-RW to root owned, root group but read,
> write and execute to world for this kernel release.
>
> It isn't much of a risk since there is only media in it when I am using
> it.

Actually, that wasn't the DVD problem I was referring to. I meant
getting mplayer and xine 64 bit versions to play DVD's. I never could find any
pre-built rpm's for all the stuff needed, had to compile everything from
source and had tons of problems getting all the right 'configure switches' to
make it work. I went months after getting my AMD until I finally got it
working, it was a very frustrating experience. Lots of googling, lots of posts
to groups like this, and lots of trial and error.

Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/