Reliability of SuSE AMD64?
  • From: David Garnier <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:11:58 +0000 (UTC)
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new Java workstation, so I'm looking at bi-Xeons
and bi-Opterons. Now here is the catch: I do not have lots of time to
spend on coding, and even less time on tinkering my setup, so my
workstation must _just_ work. That's why I'm running SuSE: it just work
almost without any maintenane.

Now, I've been reading this mailing-list for a while, and it seems that
AMD64 users are having a rough ride. Kernel lockups, JVM segfaults...
Are those common ? Or is it just the usual 'background noise' ?

I'm pretty sure that Opterons are, long-term, a better platform than
Xeons. But my question is: does it _just_ work _right_ now?

If Suse 9.1 for AMD64 is still a tad bumpy, can I just install SuSE 9.1
for x32 and expect flawless operation (I don't know if that question
really make sense, so please be kind) ? Then I could get an bi-Opteron,
wait 6 month for SuSE 9.2 and then finally enjoy the expected 20 or 30%
boost (yeah right) brought by the x86-64 architecture.

Secondary question: I would love some benchmarks that focus on Java
(compilation and execution), between Opterons and Xeons. It seems that
most benchmarks out there focus on rendering 3D scenes and encoding
MP3s.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Best Regards,