Re: [suse-amd64] Reliability of SuSE AMD64?
  • From: Lewis Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:48:58 +0000 (UTC)
Actually, I've had success with both 9.0 and 9.1
on a dual Opteron I put together late last year.
It's a Tyan 2880 with two 244 Opterons and 4-GB
of RAM. The on-board frame buffer, SCSI and
Ethernet all work without fuss. I haven't tried
the SATA interface yet. It even successfully
hotplugged a USB Compact Flash card!

However, there was one wrinkle: before I installed
9.1 I upgraded the BIOS with Tyan's latest beta.
Everything worked until I ran a FFT benchmark
compiled with g77. The benchmark just locked the
system up tight as a drum. I then installed the
highest rev non-beta BIOS and the problem

Lew Wolfgang

Well, FWIW, I'm not having much luck with Suse9.1 installing on my DIY Athlon64 computer... none of the distro's are giving me a lot of love, to be honest. Granted, I'm quite the newbie when it comes to linux however, so YMMV.

- Kevin

< Previous Next >