Re: [suse-amd64] Reliability of SuSE AMD64?
  • From: Lewis Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:48:58 +0000 (UTC)
Actually, I've had success with both 9.0 and 9.1
on a dual Opteron I put together late last year.
It's a Tyan 2880 with two 244 Opterons and 4-GB
of RAM. The on-board frame buffer, SCSI and
Ethernet all work without fuss. I haven't tried
the SATA interface yet. It even successfully
hotplugged a USB Compact Flash card!

However, there was one wrinkle: before I installed
9.1 I upgraded the BIOS with Tyan's latest beta.
Everything worked until I ran a FFT benchmark
compiled with g77. The benchmark just locked the
system up tight as a drum. I then installed the
highest rev non-beta BIOS and the problem
disappeared.

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang

Well, FWIW, I'm not having much luck with Suse9.1 installing on my DIY Athlon64 computer... none of the distro's are giving me a lot of love, to be honest. Granted, I'm quite the newbie when it comes to linux however, so YMMV.

- Kevin