Re: [suse-amd64] Mixed 32-bit / 64-bit SuSE
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:33:06 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 07:37:20PM -0500, Bob Fischer wrote:
> It is well known that certain 64-bit programs don't work so well on SuSE
> 9.0. There are good reasons, for example, that one might want to run
> Evolution, Mozilla, Netscape and maybe other programs in 32-bit. Also,
> if one wishes to develop 32-bit applications, it is nice to have a
> 32-bit system around for that.
>
> I've figured out how to do it in a way that provides maximal effect with
> minimal effort (compared to recompiling every program you wish to run
> 32-bit). Basically, I have a 32-bit SuSE 9.0 installed on one partition
> and a 64-bit version installed on another. Then I use a procedure to
> run the installed 32-bit binaries from the 64-bit kernel. Here is how I
> set it up:

This is the most cumbersome way I have seen ;)

What you do is:

rpm -e program (remove the 64bit version of it)
rpm -i path/to/32bit/program.rpm

in the 9.0 64bit system. We provide enough 32bit compat libraries to
make this possible.

As for starting with 32bit personality we include the "linux32" program,
obsoleting your posted suse32.c ;)

Ciao, Marcus