RE: [suse-amd64] Status of Serial ATA support
Well I finally got the SUSE 9.0 for AMD64 to work.

Here's the things that were required:

Installed ATA133 Hard Drive to due no SATA Support
Disabled Legacy USB Support in Bios (I don't think this made any difference)
Removed PC from KVM and connected keyboard direct (not USB).
Upgraded Motherboard BIOS to ver. F4 from F2 (GIGAByte Model = KVT800PRO)
which was the final key item I think.
Anyways I was able to Install SUSE 9.0 for AMD 64 after doing the above (the
boot parameter poll=idle was not required).
After the SUSE 9.0 was installed I removed the direct keyboard connection
and reconnected the PC back to the KVM which uses USB for mouse and
keyboard, rebooted and SUSE picked up on the USB keyboard right away.

Now that it's in, it looks impressive, just two more things I need to do,
one install the Nvidia 3d Driver (looks rather difficult with SUSE 9.0 for
AMD 64) and I am greatly looking forward to the release of Kernel and boot
iso with VIA SATA support so I can take this old hard drive back out.