Re: [suse-amd64] Installation problems with Suse 9.0 64 bit
  • From: Lothar Hansche <lohan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:31:38 +0000 (UTC)
Hello Jeremy,

My AMD Athlon with Shuttle Mainboard is working fine since yesterday.

but .... many problems I had before.

My Hardware is:

Mainboard: Shuttle AN5OR
Shipset: NVIDIA nForce3 150
Prozessor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
SATA RAID Controller Sil3112A with SATA HD ST3160023AS (Seagate?)
Video: ATI RV350 AP
SCSI-Controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c875
with SCSI-HD and WANGTEK Streamer 250 MB
2 Ethernet controller onbord
1 PCI Ethernet controller
DVD-Rom and DVD-RW
and, and, and many other interfaces and peripherals.
For internet I use a old ELSA-Modem basic RS-232.

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Jeremy Sonander wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have a Biostar ideq 200p computer containing an Athlon 64 3200+ CPU, Nvidia
> Nforce3 chipset and a Nvidia Geforce 4 440 mx graphics card.
>
> Booting from the DVD and selecting "Installation" causes the machine to hang
> after the message "starting hardware detection"
Yes, by me also the same.

Did you try the manual installation mode?

By me it helps: I did take the Manual Installation and could load
the required kernel modules on confirmation.

But there are other problems with DMA-Mode for Harddisk and pppd and
arecord and Reiserfs.
I take from now ext2 and ext3. Its saver after crash through DMA.
The switch to DMA by booting before going to the runlevels is to early.

If I switch on after hwscan, then is the booting alright with UDMA2-Mode.
By me the DMA is off during boot normally.

With DMA for IDE I can detect a fast speed for file operations.
Without DMA the maschine is slower than a 166MHz PENTIUM I during
file operations (copy 1 GByte files from a partition to another).

Now I have a fine speed and I'am happy that the other things work too.

pppd: It helps the option "novj".

arecord: I take instead wavrec from package wavplay.

Sound is OK.
Network runs for 2 Interface (one onboard is not supported).

It was 7 weeks hard work to get this Linux/WinXP-System on 64-Bit
platform. 5 weeks for a few hardware booting problems, USB on front side
and internal softmodem. And 2 weeks for installing, testing the
system. Now I can configure the last things of application software
and compilers (Visual Eiffel 4.1).

I hope, it helps for your problem.
Please excuse me for my bad english.

Gruss