Re: [opensuse-ambassadors] openSUSE 11.4 PromoDVDs coming soonish - Organizing Country Coordination
On Monday, March 21, 2011 06:46:11 Sankar P wrote:
Hi,

First of all sorry for the delay in reply. I didn't check mails during the
weekend.

PromoDVDs of openSUSE 11.4 will soon be available. In the past we had a
few ambassadors that distributed them on demand to folks in their
country like Sankar P (is there a wiki page for this?).

Sankar, could you tell us a bit what you did so that others know what
this means, please?

If you're interested in handling PromoDVDs for your region, please speak
up.

The process that I followed was very simple and won't scale for such a
large scale.

I maintain(ed) a list of addresses to which I ship the DVDs within India.
In addition to that, if anyone asks in marketing or ambassadors lists from
India (and once to Bangladesh also iirc), I reply on the list and add
their address to my list. Once I get the bulk of DVDs from Jacqueline, I
bulk-deliver to all the addresses in my list (asked-list + few other
colleges, LUGs, twitter/facebook friends I know of) through Novell India
delivery. This way, I don't have to pay for the individual shipments.
While asking for DVDs from Germany, I get in a bulk so that for any
subsequent requests from India, I can send the DVDs myself without having
to ask from Germany (buffering).

In my ambassador page, I had a text of: "If you need anything for openSUSE
[DVDs or whatever] in India, feel free to mail me".

This is the very simple process that I follow. Cyberorg does something
similar in India but he prepares his own DVDs.

Thanks for the info.

Does the wiki contain any reference to this? If we have some people taking
care of sending locally, how do people know about it?

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany