[opensuse-ambassadors] Re: event report from LCA
Please check out http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:LCA2011 and not the mail
below, the site is better organized and I fixed some things :D

On Thursday 03 February 2011 19:29:27 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
On Thursday 03 February 2011 19:11:33 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
Hi all,

I went to LCA ;-)

Did blog about it - pictures can be found on my picasaweb:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jospoortvliet/LCA2011Brisbane

Event Report LCA 2011

* LCA 2011 happened from mon 24 to sat 29 of Januari 2011.
* openSUSE Ambassadors: Jos Poortvliet, Tim Serong
* Event Details

o It is a well organized and quite professional conference.
Biggest

sponsors HP, IBM, Intel and Google. Budget about $700.000, entry fee from
$60 to $600 (depending if you're student, hobbyist or professional and if
you get early bird registration (50% off). There are about 1000 people
there, mostly semi-regulars, few students. Most of them quite technical
and experienced. o Arrived Tuesday night, Wednesday first day of the
conference. o Was 'fairy penguin' sponsor (A$ 1500). This was noticed by
a few people.

o At professional networking meeting got to talk to a few
people,

got one in contact with Bretzn team to talk about payment systems for
openSUSE's appstore and someone else on OBS.

o Attended talks, among others by Red Hat/Fedora ppl Learned
about

Koji and how it is about 5 lightyears behind on OBS :D

o Blogged daily about LCA & other stuff (blog aggregated on an
LCA

planet) and tweeted several times. Also linked with Facebook.

o Got in contact with a few local (open)SUSE people, will work

with them to set up more of a community in AU.

o Realized many people want to spread openSUSE but don't know
how.

They used to have local Novell contacts but those disappeared (layoffs
etc) and now they're stuck. I will try and get them motivated to become
openSUSE ambassador. Need to expand our ambassador program, communicate
it better and work with the local Novell/SUSE offices, integrate their
work with local (open)SUSE people and the ambassador work! This is what
Red Hat and Canonical do very well.

o Spoke with keynote speaker Mark Pesce, will try to get him as

keynote speaker for Desktop Summit (if not maybe suse conf!)

o Had a meeting with Fedora Project Lead. We discussed
cross-distro

collaboration. There will be a discussion panel on that on FOSDEM lead by
him and the Debian project lead, I will join them.

o Gave a 90 second lightning talk (24 slides about SUSE Studio)

during the closing ceremony which earned me a t-shirt (winner best
lightningtalk). Resulted in ppl coming up to me all Saturday, both to
compliment with talk and to say they would check out openSUSE and SUSE
Studio again.

o Held a booth on Saturday together with Tim, local Novell/SUSE

employee. Answered many questions.

o Created 1 A4 poster to get geeks' interest, gave away about 40

and used it in booth area

o Gave away 150 DVD's, rest is with 2 local openSUSE ppl now.
o This conference is certainly worth going to but needs more

marketing materials and more people, a team!

Common questions asked:
openSUSE still alive? (answer: more than ever :D)
Why would I use openSUSE and not XXXX? (because we're cool, see A4
poster) How is the takeover stuff doing for openSUSE? (see my interview
with Jeff Hawn)

I will put this in the wiki page of LCA 2011 too :D

Done: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:LCA2011
< Previous Next >