Re: [opensuse-ambassadors] Re: Important openSUSE Ambassador information
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 14:04:57 -0500
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 14:03 +0300, Stathis Iosifidis (aka diamond_gr)
wrote:
Hello world,

στις 02/08/2010 12:13 μμ, O/H Satoru Matsumoto έγραψε:

That's exactly the thing.

I'm wondering why only few Ambassadors are involved in this topic. ATM,
there are 71.99 subscribers (BTW, where has gone 0.01 subscriber ? ;-))
on this -ambassdors list [1] and 175 Ambassadors are registered [2], but
most of them keep silence and haven't commented if the hour is agreeable
to them or not. Does this mean, the scheduled meeting time 15:00 UTC is
agreeable to most of the Ambassadors and they are going to join the
meeting ? If most of the Ambassadors can join the meetings on that time
frame, there's no problem. But if they won't join the meeting without
making counter-proposals, does that mean, they are not interested in
talking with other Ambassadors and improving the program at all, and the
only interest they have is how they can get DVDs and stuffs from
openSUSE project ?

I hope my concern will prove unfounded...

[1]
http://lists.opensuse.org/stats/opensuse-ambassadors/opensuse-ambassadors.html#Subscribers

[2] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Ambassadors_list

Personally I'm OK with the time. But as I proposed, it's better to have
seperate meetings for areas. Not only because everyone can attend but
almost everyone know what's happening in their area, different cultures etc.

The meeting we are calling is for general Ambassador Program discussion,
not per-country discussions or even leads in particular regions.
Every country or region should be able to set up meetings or discussions
in their own way that they see fits best with the group there. We
can't do per country like that. It would be unfeasible and I would be
totally drained on time.

We expect that each group/country/region have its own level of autonomy
to drive the way they see best. But for this meeting, it is about
general Program infrastructure and common issue sthat affect all
Ambassadors across the board.

Well, Japanese for example, how many Japanese contributors except me
can you name actually ?

There certainly are a fair amount of openSUSE users in Japan. Some of
them are writing articles about openSUSE on their own site and posting
blogs. I've often called for them to be engaged in *main stream* of
the openSUSE community, but most of them hesitate to join the
discussions in English.

This situation is what I want to change. And in order to do so, I
want to share the ideas with other contributors all over the world.

I hope Ambassador program will help changing this situation.

It's good if every country (that have more than 2-3 ambassadors) will
have meeting for programming next events etc in their country. This way,
people who don't speak-understand english (I'm one of them), can speak
their language.

Regards,
Stathis