Re: [opensuse-ambassadors] Re: Important openSUSE Ambassador information
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 01:55:33 -0500
On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 08:30 +0200, Raul Romero (openSUSE Member) wrote:
Another idea for discussing and brainstorming could be use Google Wave
or Novell Pulse (http://www.novell.com/ctoblog/?p=172).

---
Raúl Romero
(openSUSE Ambassador)
Perfil de [^BgTA^]: http://goto.bgta.net/profile
---

Or how about using our own Retro system?

I'm not sure if Google Wave is the way to go. Many people complained
about trying to make sense of the Google Wave environment when it came
out and it hasn't been all that successful. Now, maybe Google Wave has
improved since that time and it works better. I don't know.

But, the other thing to consider is that there are many in the FOSS
world who are uncomfortable about using Google's services. I'm not
going to start a political discussion about that, I even use Google's
services myself. But we have to be careful about what we recommend as
our tool of service that it does not alienate some people. We want to
make sure our tools are compatible with the broadest range of people
possible.

Now, as for Novell's Pulse. Hey, I think Novell puts out some really
great products, and I used to be a Novell partner and sell its
solutions, so what I'm going to say is not against Novell at all.

Here's where we could end up with a long-term problem if we introduce
the use of a Novell paid product, (or anyone else's paid product.) We,
the openSUSE Project, are striving to empower our community to support
and manage our infrastructure. If we use a paid product (even if Novell
gave it to us for free), the number of potential administrators becomes
smaller because many within the community are unlikely to have purchased
and become experts in that product.

Therefore, if we are to choose a new tool, we need to choose one that is
free and open to anyone to become experts in. Not because of the
philosophy of free vs. proprietary, but simply because we must ensure
that the broadest range of potential managers of those tools is
available at all times.

Therefore, while Novell's Pulse is a great product, it simply does not
fit with our particular community's needs.

These are only my opinions, but I'm sure others would agree with here.

Sincerely,
Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Marketing Team lead