Re: [opensuse-translation] The "packages" sub-branch, do we have to translate it?
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 19:47:45 +0100

Karl Eichwalder wrote:
"Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
The Friday 2007-11-09 at 01:53 +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:
Pointless... unless someone comes up with a tool that directly modifies
binary RPM file headers to update %SUMMARY and %DESCRIPTION(lang),
because that way, one could update the translations without rebuilding :)
Those could be extracted and converted to gettext format, and then
re-merged into the binary RPM files.

You mean that in order to use the translated "packages" files the whole
distro with all the rpms would have to be rebuilt? Wow.

Yeah, this sounds by far too ambitious.

No no no, what I was talking about was precisely to *prevent* from
having to rebuild the packages to update the localized descriptions. And
definitely not "the whole distro" (how stupid do you think I am ?).

I'm not sure I fully understand. Is it that the translation is hardcoded
insisde the rpm package, and can't be pulled from outside files, in a
similar way to what binary programs do pulling the translated strings at
runtime using gettext calls?

Exactly. The package %summary and %description are written+maintained in
the .spec file used to build the package. When rpmbuild creates the RPM
files, they're written into the RPM headers inside each .rpm file.
They can be pulled very easily (rpm -qp --qf
'%{SUMMARY}\n%{DESCRIPTION}\n' somepackage.rpm) but they cannot be
modified in the package unless modifying the .spec file and rebuilding
(which, obviously, is not a very good idea).

I thought this packages branch was used in some "magic" way by Yast when
using the software management thing, but I really haven't looked much at
it.

Yes, translations of package descriptions are not part of the RPMs
resp. the RPM database.

Is that packages thing a copy of the descriptions that are used solely
by YaST2 (instead of using the RPMs' %description ?) -- seems we're
talking about totally different things and I should just have kept from
adding my 2 cents.

I simply wondered if it needs to be translated, as the "stats" page
doesn't show it: just yast and lcn.

Thus far, translating package descriptions is not required.

But it would be nice.

- --