Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Does the project have a publicly accessible project management tool?
Hello,

Am Samstag, 19. Mai 2012 schrieb Jim Henderson:
On Sun, 20 May 2012 01:27:44 +0200, Christian Boltz wrote:
Am Samstag, 19. Mai 2012 schrieb Jim Henderson:

I don't know that bugzilla is an optimal solution for tracking project
tasks - but it might be. Thing is we'd need additional
product/component creation to do project management, but it's really
geared towards products rather than project management.

I'd say bugzilla is good for tracking - and it doesn't care about what
you are tracking ;-) Is there really a difference between tracking a
bug and tracking a TODO? I doubt ;-)

If you want to test bugzilla for project management, you can (ab)use the
existing component "Action Items" in product "openSUSE.org" (optionally
with a [prefix] in the bug summary).

Creating additional components shouldn't be a problem [1]. However I
want to avoid having a bugzilla component just for a test (we'd have to
keep this component forever), so please do the first test within the
"Action Items" component ;-)

Absolutely. But one of the important points here is that project
management for something like this is somewhat different than
bug/defect tracking (or enhancement tracking), so a tool that's going
to be effective also needs to be one that's not designed for a
different purpose bent and twisted to accommodate the needs of doing
project management.

My impression is that project management means, to say it with Henne's
words, "get the shit done". That's also true for bugreports, so the
difference can't be that big ;-)

Needless to say that bugzilla has two big advantages: It is already
there (you can start using it today), and most people already know how
to use it.

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] AFAIK Coolo or AJ can create them, so we don't depend on the
bugzilla team
--
No, we sane people usually simply don't care and put such things in the
same category as other software for studying fairytales. However people