[opensuse-project] Re: Introducing the Freight Train
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 13:41:28 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 15 May 2012 13:07:23 +0200, Henne Vogelsang wrote:

This is an important enablement step that needs to be taken with the
community. :) There are few things that are as enabling (for a
community) as just listening and acting on feedback.

But we have to deliver that function (reviewing) as a community also.
That means someone needs to volunteer to do it. We bee a screening team
for fate/bugzilla again.

Correct. :)

I have the feeling (not necessarily from your comments but from others)
that people expect that this magically happens if they just win "the
feedback argument" with "the developers". I can make you a promise
today: It won't solve itself.

Also correct. I see this in the forums as well, users who complain that
"no testing" has been done - but who don't realise that they /are/
potentially part of the testing team.

From an enablement perspective, I see that there's a need both from the
community and from the project. The community needs to step up to help
with these tasks, but there needs to be some coordination as well, and
that is something that needs to (IMHO) come from the project or from SUSE
itself.

I think this is something that's /probably/ best handled as a guided
community activity.

In this day and age for every line of code a developers produces he has
to read/write 100 lines in the feedback loop. For a developer the
problem is not getting feedback but how to cope with the amount he gets,
how to stay productive while staying connected.

Yup, and that's true in non-OSS software projects as well. It's a common
issue in software development in general.

I think it's a question of taking the broader user base's input [...]
and refining that feedback in a way that's useful and not
time-consuming to the developers working on making a better product.

Yes that's exactly what needs to be done. But here we are again, another
task that needs to be done. So people, it's time to step up and do
something about it of start to live with the situation. Just because
something needs to be done it doesn't happen. The only way things happen
is if you make them happen yourself. Just do it!

+1, absolutely, but I'd say again that as a guided community activity,
this could be much more effective.

One way that might help would be to suggest (not require, obviously -
'require' doesn't work so well with volunteers beyond a certain point)
that if one takes the time to submit a bug, perhaps it could be suggested
that they might help review an existing bug, maybe try to duplicate it.

That way members of the community are helping each other write better
reports. Again, not as a hard requirement, but as a suggestion to help
the project along.

Another thing that probably needs to happen is a top-down review of all
the outstanding bugs with a determination if they're even worth pursuing
at this stage. For example, bugs that are against 11.1 probably aren't
going to get addressed (or may already have been, or may no longer be
relevant), so they should be closed as "WONTFIX".

Jim
--
Jim Henderson