[opensuse-project] download.opensuse.org IPV6 address breaks updates
I am seeing this with an openSUSE 12.1 system at home, and also a
Factory system at work:

% host download.opensuse.org
download.opensuse.org has address 195.135.221.134
download.opensuse.org has IPv6 address 2001:67c:2178:8::13

And then, when running zypper patch or zypper up, I see

Retrieving: repomd.xml [error]
Download (curl) error for
'http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.1/repodata/repomd.xml':
Error code: Connection failed
Error message: Failed to connect to 2001:67c:2178:8::13: Network is
unreachable

Alas, my provider nor that network at work support IPv6. Still, my
system has IPv6 enabled since roaming around on different networks,
IPv6 may be present, or even necessary there.

(This does not happen all the time, sometimes if I retry a bit later
the system uses IPv4 and everything works.)

Now, is this just a setup problem and I should simply and
unconditionally disable IPv6?

Or are some parts of our update or network stack in need of
some adjustments?

For the time being, unless this is just me running into this,
should we disable IPv6 on download.opensuse.org?

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxx> || SUSE || Director Product Management