Re: [opensuse-project] membership discussion: statement from the membership officials
On 03/27/2012 04:04 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The goal of all of this is that the project is able to detect if an
election or vote is valid,
by defining that the vote needs for example a participation of more then
60% of 'active'
members.

Never heard of an election being invalidated due to less than X
percentage of than those eligible to vote. Those who vote are the basis
of the calculation. Show me a democratic election where this above
method as mentioned was applied.

Requiring a quorum be present before voting is standard practice for
most organizations / bodies.

quorum - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorum

If opensuse ever forms a entity, I'm sure the bylaws will require a
quorum of potential voters participate for a vote to be valid. Hard
to imagine it any other way.

If ever is the key word and it does not apply at the time being, hence
when the time comes the founding members of such an entity can enforce
such a requirement

In the mean time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorum#Germany

"Germany

In the German Bundestag at least half of the members (311 out of 622)
must be present so that it is empowered to make resolutions.[16]
Nevertheless, often fewer members are present. They still can make
effective decisions as long as no parliamentary group or 5% of the
members of the parliament are complaining about the lack of quorum."

So it is not a must ;)

Togan