[opensuse-project] Re: How to name our releases?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:07:27 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:23:53 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:

The only problem I would
forecast is how be fair to everyone and eventually would make us waste
resources on stuff like measuring and weighting contributions.

I would see that as a problem, because there will always be disagreement
over whose contributions were more significant. I don't see that kind of
arrangement working out well as there are bound to be people who are
upset that their contributions were not deemed 'worthy' of that kind of

IOW, I only see bad feelings coming out of something like that.

Also along the same lines, though - there's always people who are going
to complain that a release is bad, will those contributors want their
name as part of a product name if there are actual serious issues with it
at release? (Not saying that openSUSE has stability issues, IME it
doesn't, but I know I wouldn't be comfortable having my name as part of
the product name and then finding out that there was a major problem that
got through QA. That might be taken by some as I was the one responsible
for letting the bug get through).

Better to stick with generic names and give credit in the CREDITS file.

Jim Henderson