[opensuse-project] Re: How to name our releases?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:07:27 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:23:53 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:

The only problem I would
forecast is how be fair to everyone and eventually would make us waste
resources on stuff like measuring and weighting contributions.

I would see that as a problem, because there will always be disagreement
over whose contributions were more significant. I don't see that kind of
arrangement working out well as there are bound to be people who are
upset that their contributions were not deemed 'worthy' of that kind of
recognition.

IOW, I only see bad feelings coming out of something like that.

Also along the same lines, though - there's always people who are going
to complain that a release is bad, will those contributors want their
name as part of a product name if there are actual serious issues with it
at release? (Not saying that openSUSE has stability issues, IME it
doesn't, but I know I wouldn't be comfortable having my name as part of
the product name and then finding out that there was a major problem that
got through QA. That might be taken by some as I was the one responsible
for letting the bug get through).

Better to stick with generic names and give credit in the CREDITS file.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson