Re: [opensuse-project] License and copyright issues that openSUSE Weekly News team are coming up against now
About that, I will tell you the story and anyone who knows should tell
us (the Greek Community) about it and if we need to ask permission
from Novell. Let me say at that point that we don't have a reason not
to ask permission from Novell if needed, the reason we did not so far
is because we believe we didn't have to.
When we started the Greek community a few months ago a friend of the
community told us he owned the opensuse.gr domain name and he told us
that he can redirect it wherever we wanted.
The opensuse.gr was for sale when this person bought it legal(under
Greek laws). Now we use that at the moment as re-directions to:
- http://opensuse.gr redirects to http://el.opensuse.org/Main_Page
- http://amb.opensuse.gr redirects to
http://opensuseambassadors.blogspot.com/
- http://own.opensuse.gr redirects to http://el.opensuse.org/Weekly_news
and we are planning to do also something else those days that we might
use another redirection,but it is mainly planning for now...
Bottom line if in my country I can legally buy a domain name that it
is related to a company which laws are stronger?
We are using this domain name for community causes ONLY anyway so
asking permission and finally getting it we don't think is a problem,
please only those who really know that answer me on that so that I
won't be confused( I get that easily in legal matters). After that if
I have to ask permission from Novell I will inform the rest of the
community about it so that we make the right actions so that all will
be perfectly legal.

Hi Kostas,

As Vincent pointed out, the domain name policy is outlined on the trademarks
page.
I'm adding permission@xxxxxxxxxx to the "To" line to get you an official answer.

The Greek Community is doing great stuff!

regards,

AlanClark