RE: [opensuse-project] What's the latest on the strategy discussion?
On Thursday, December 09, 2010 09:49:19 am Per Jessen wrote:

Maintaining and developing a packaging and distribution infrastructure
is no doubt important, but does it really belong in the mission
statement?

It should be.
It is one of advantages that openSUSE has.

Build Service is a packaging system that can serve any software or
distribution developer and it is our big plus. It gives weight to
statements
that call for cross distribution collaboration.

Apropos, if we look on Build Service we have long term commitment to cross
distribution collaboration, which is way to go, instead of splitting
efforts
in smaller and smaller pieces as it is now.

Doesn't this imply that we now have 2 distinct products: a build service
whose primarily market is the FOSS development community; and a distribution
whose primary market is the Linux end users. There is overlap between these
groups but people who use the build service do not necessarily need to use
OS, and I'm fairly certain a majority of users don't use the build service.
These two groups of people are looking for different things when they come
to openSUSE.

To cover them both adequately in a single mission statement is going to
demand a high level statement (e.g. be the best in the world at building
Linux distributions) with OS as our primary example (flagship) of this
expertise. This would be a significant change in focus (OS as the primary
product, build service as a tool we've built to do it which you can also use
if you want).

David