Re: [opensuse-project] What's the latest on the strategy discussion?
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 01:21:18 +0100
On Monday 08 November 2010 12:47:44 Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Hey,

On 11/8/10 12:44 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Regarding mission, I just stumbled upon this:

The openSUSE project is a worldwide effort that promotes the use of Linux
everywhere. openSUSE creates one of the world's best Linux distributions,
working together in an open, transparent and friendly manner as part of
the worldwide Free and Open Source Software community.

Which is a shortened version of the "We are" paragraph from the guiding
principles. The guiding principles already contain all the mission
statements we need i think. I fail to see why we need something else.

Ok.

So building on that, taking a few comments from this thread:

The openSUSE project is a worldwide effort that promotes the use of Linux
everywhere. openSUSE maintains and develops a packaging and distribution
infrastructure on which it creates one of the world's most flexible and
powerful Linux distributions, working together in an open, transparent and
friendly manner as part of the worldwide Free and Open Source Software
community.

- we're international
- we promote linux EVERYWHERE
- we build infrastructure
- we have created a very flexible and powerful linux distro (a powertool that
might be a bit heavy on Aunt Tilly, but she can ask Uncle Tom for help if
there are issues)
- we work together in an open, transparant etc etc etc way

The change is actually very minor, I think most is covered with this and we
don't deviate much from what we have. Should be quite acceptable. And for who
wants to read more, we have the rest of the strategy which I'll be updating
now.

Cheers,
Jos

Henne