Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE LTS
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 19:20:39 +0000

On 05/12/10 23:40, Pascal Bleser wrote:
[...]

Correct. And if I may add a few things...

The nature of the beast highly depends on whether it's an "openSLES"
(which would be binary compatible with SLES, same as CentOS for RHEL
(*)) or an "openSUSE LTS". The latter would *not* be binary compatible
to SLES, and have nothing to do with SLES altogether (which is why that
option is fine with everyone from a "political" point of view). It is
"just" an openSUSE with a longer lifetime.

This is a crucial point, no doubt. I think the binary compatibility of
CentOS with RHEL is definitely one of the big advantages for companies.
You can even run RHEL-certified software on CentOS without problems....
openSUSE LTS, as pointed out in other parts of this email thread, could
be done right now - it's more likely a matter of human resources than
anything else.

Regards,
Thomas